Saturday, June 28, 2008

Animal Massage Therapy Extended My Old Dogs Life And Gave Him Less Pain And More Comfort

Writen by Kelvyn Peters

The time had come for me to make a sad decision about my old dog.



Animal massage therapy allowed me to put off that decision and give my dog an extra two years of quality time with his family.


I have no doubt that it was the correct decision and I urge all pet owners to investigate animal massage therapy for their own pets.

The health and welfare benefits of massage in animals is much the same as in humans. Increased blood flow to the painful area reduces inflammation and reduces pain. The gentle movement of all the joints through as much range as possible improves the pet's movement.

Wouldn't it be great if your partner or other loved one, without fail, gave you a massage every day? A half-hour of gentle fondling, petting and massage. Imagine what that would do for your happiness and self-esteem.Stand aside world I'm coming through!

And so too for your pet.

Peppy, an Australian Cattle Dog cross, was an awesome dog almost perfect in every way. He quickly accepted me as pack leader and was so easy to train. Peppy quickly learned to obey my commands.

Peppy was not without blemish, he had his own little idiosyncrasies. I once believed that larger dogs should not come in to the house and I trained him not to do so. He would insist on climbing the stairs, poke his nose round the door to see if I was in sight. A frown and the pointing of a finger was enough to make him scurry back down the stairs.

I could not break him of the habit. Then I learned why. When I was not home my wife and children encouraged him into the house to be with the family, and sent him out when they heard I was returning.

So I relented. It was either that or get rid of the family and I could not find anyone who would take them and I wanted to keep the dog! Peppy became a fully endorsed member of the family and was allowed into most rooms in the house.

But Peppy always remembered that I had taught him that the house was a no-go area. He would poke his nose around the corner and if I were in the room he quietly sneak around the perimeter of the room. Behind sofas, under tables and behind chairs, pretending he could not see me while I pretended I could not see him until he was suddenly by my side, his head on my knee, waiting for a pat of acceptance.

When Peppy was 14 years old I found him one morning with his hind leg swinging uselessly and in great pain. The vet said that he had a torn ligament, the same as football players get. He was an old dog but he did not look his age and was in excellent condition (just like his master who was growing older by the minute carrying this heavy dog up and down the stairs).

Peppy would be as good as new, even better, after the operation the vet said.

There was no decision to be made. Peppy was a member of our family. We would raise the $3000 for the operation somehow.

The operation and the six weeks recuperation was tough on the dog. It was tough on the family. Pep was drugged to the eyeballs with painkillers and sedatives. He had his leg in a kind of plaster from hip to just six inches beyond his foot. He struggled to stand and walked like a drunken sailor.

The only part which of him which seemed to work as it should was his wagging tail.

It was hardest on, Vlady, my wife. Peppy absolutely adored my wife. His one purpose in his life eas to be at her side. He used to follow her from room to room and he saw no reason why he should not do so now. He would stagger after her a pitiful sight.

Poor Vlady! She became virtually chair-bound and afraid to move because it troubled him so much. She sometimes risked it if he were fast asleep but he soon realized she was gone and would go in frantic search for her.

But Peppy recovered and he was almost as good as new. He was told not participate in any jumping games but he could have if he had wanted to. He had a touch of arthritis and he could not see as well as used to but the next twelve months was a wonderful time for all of us.

And then almost twelve months to the day tragedy struck again. I found Peppy with his other leg dangling and he was in great pain. We went through the same thing again but this time Peppy was not as good as new. All Peppy did was lie under the table out of the way and give his tail a thump on the floor when we spoke to him. He seemed too weak to actually wag his tail.

It was obvious to me that I had to start thinking of giving him release from his pain.

I then read an article in an Australian dog magazine which touted the benefits of animal massage therapy for dogs who were in Peppy's condition and time of life. I did some research and learned the techniques and as soon as I was able started Animal Massage Therapy on Peppy.I did it every day for two years and it worked a treat.

As increased blood flow to his painful inflamed joints his pain lessened and the gentle manipulation of his limbs helped his joints to move more freely. His muscles became firmer andmore supple. Peppy started to walk again. He was still an old man but he enjoyed his old age and he loved the attention he was getting.

At 18 years Peppy passed on. Had massage therapy extended his life? I believe it had. Was his quality of life improved? It certainly had and we had two years of quality time with our old friend.

Kelvyn Peters is a renowned storyteller who has a vast experience in many fields which he loves to talk about. We have convinced him to put them on paper.

Author
Kelvyn Peters
Storyteller
http://www.dogs-haven.com

No comments: